Basic principles of data center operation and maintenance energy saving work
Time of issue:2023-05-18
Data centers consume a lot of energy. Even a small percentage of energy savings in data center operation and maintenance is a great saving for the whole of society. Therefore, the development of this work should follow the following main principles.
1. Operation, maintenance, and energy conservation must comply with relevant laws, regulations, standards, and policy documents:
Comprehensively considering the effect of several technologies on improving the energy efficiency of the data center itself and the city as a whole, encouraging the effective application of technologies, and assigning adjustment factors to several technologies. The comprehensive PUE index is calculated on the basis of the benchmark PUE index, and the comprehensive PUE index is used as a guideline to restrict each data center.
2. Operation and maintenance energy saving need to make full use of its own conditions:
Self-conditions include natural climate conditions, equipment that has been put into use, load-bearing and space of the building where the data center is located, available funds, business support, etc.
3. O&M energy saving needs to be balanced with O&M security:
On the premise of ensuring the continuity and stability of power supply and distribution, refrigeration, and energy saving are carried out, and the relevant data is in line with national standards and SLA terms reached with the business side.
4. Energy saving in operation and maintenance needs to be balanced with equipment redundancy.
5. Operation and maintenance energy saving need to pay attention to the balanced utilization of resources:
The main resources used by most data centers are electricity, diesel, natural gas, water, etc. There will be a mutual influence or conversion relationship between these resources. In the process of data center operation and maintenance, the calculation of resource balance utilization should be done from the perspective of overall energy saving.
6. Operation and maintenance energy saving should not destroy the whole due to partial:
Local problems can often be solved at a relatively small cost. At this time, it is not appropriate to adopt a holistic strategy, which will cause overall waste of energy to achieve local problems.
7. Operation and maintenance energy-saving renovations and changes need to match the business time window:
There are certain risks in any transformation and change of the data center. While doing a good job in plan evaluation, risk investigation, emergency plan, and plan approval, it is still necessary to match the business time window and use bottom-line thinking to ensure that the business is not affected when an accident occurs. have no or minimal impact.
8. The selection of energy-saving technologies for operation and maintenance should undergo relevant verification or have relevant cases:
Operation and maintenance energy-saving work are carried out in the operation data center. The adoption of various energy-saving technologies or measures is directly related to the safety and stability of operation. Therefore, when making selections, try to choose mature energy-saving technologies and have relevant case references. Learn from the transformation, construction, and operation experience of forming cases.
9. Operation and maintenance energy saving need to pay attention to bit-by-bit accumulation.
10. Operation and maintenance energy saving needs attention everywhere and attention to details:
Operation and maintenance energy-saving work need to pay attention to details, be good at thinking, and use energy-saving theory to guide energy-saving practice.
11. Comprehensive energy consumption needs to be considered in operation and maintenance energy-saving work:
Comprehensive energy consumption needs to be considered during the operation and maintenance of the data center. For example, a data center park includes public facilities such as office buildings, research and development buildings, and dormitory buildings, which need to be heated in winter.
12. Operation and maintenance energy-saving investment must match the return:
Before a data center puts into use a certain energy-saving measure, it needs to check its return to ensure that the investment and return are within an acceptable range.