11 Ways to Extend UPS Power Life
Time of issue:2022-12-30
There are many ways to prolong the life of UPS power supply, and the main ones are related to the battery inside. The following are some simple and easy tips.
1. Use of AC voltage stabilizer: After using UPS power supply, there is no need to add AC voltage stabilizer. If it must be added, it should be added at the front stage of the UPS power supply, that is, the mains first passes through the AC voltage stabilizer, then through the UPS power supply, and then to the load.
2. Avoid overloading the UPS power supply: When using the UPS power supply, it is necessary to calculate the load size, and avoid the load being too large or too small. An excessive load will make the UPS power supply work in an overloaded state for a long time and shorten the UPS power supply. Service life; if the load is too small, the working circuit of the UPS power supply will work in an abnormal state for a long time, which is also harmful to the UPS power supply. A reasonable load should be controlled between 50% and 80%. Practice has proved that it is the best to control the output load of UPS power supply at about 60%, and the reliability is the best. Note that excessive underloading is also bad, although not as serious as overloading.
3. Do not use diesel generators: UPS power supply should not be powered by diesel generators, because its frequency is often mutated and unstable, which will affect the normal operation of UPS power supply.
4. The startup and shutdown sequence when using UPS power supply: the correct startup and shutdown sequence should be to first turn on the UPS power supply to supply power to it, and then turn on each load, so as to avoid damage to the UPS caused by the instantaneous current impact during startup. The order of time is just the opposite, each load should be turned off first, and the UPS should be turned off last. When the utility power is interrupted and powered by UPS, you should save your data and information as soon as possible and then turn off the computer, otherwise, using UPS power supply for work may cause excessive discharge of UPS, thereby shortening the service life of UPS.
5. UPS power supply charging skills for the first time: After purchasing a new UPS power supply, plug the UPS power supply into the 220V mains grid and charge it for at least 12 hours to ensure that the battery is fully charged. Otherwise, the actual usable capacity of the battery will be much lower than the nominal capacity of the battery. If the UPS power supply is not used for a long time. It should be turned on for 24 hours every 2 to 3 months to fully charge it, and keep the UPS power supply in the inverter working state for 2 to 3 minutes to ensure the normal life of the battery. Once the UPS power supply is connected to the mains, it will start to charge the battery pack, press the power button for more than 1 second to start up, and then turn on the inverter.
6. The UPS power supply cannot be idle for a long time: excessive discharge of the battery and long-term open-circuit idleness of the battery will increase the internal resistance of the battery and deteriorate the charging and discharging performance. For the UPS power supply that has been idle for a long time, let the UPS power supply use the charging circuit inside the machine to charge for 12 hours before connecting the load before restarting it. For the backup UPS power supply, it is best to let the UPS power supply be in the inverter every other month State work for 2 to 3 minutes to activate the battery. In addition, it is also necessary to strictly control the charging current of the battery not to exceed the maximum charging current allowed by the battery. Because excessive charging current will shorten the service life of the battery.
7. Battery management skills: At present, the valve-regulated lead-acid batteries (VRLA) used in many UPS power supplies have been called maintenance-free batteries from the beginning, which gives users a misunderstanding. It seems that this kind of battery is durable and not at all Maintenance is required. Under this kind of misleading, many users have basically not carried out maintenance and management since they installed the battery. When the battery in the UPS power supply encounters the following conditions, the battery should be balancedly charged: when the terminal voltage is lower than the specified calibration voltage of the battery due to excessive discharge. For 12V small sealed lead-acid batteries, the discharge calibration voltage is 10.5V; for 24V battery packs, the discharge end voltage is 21V; for 96V battery packs, the discharge calibration voltage is 85V. The battery was not charged in time after discharge; the battery has been left unused for a long time. When the mains power is interrupted, the battery with continuous floating charge will discharge nearly half of its capacity. In response to this situation, Burke developed a battery automation management software to effectively solve the problems caused by this problem.
①Battery automatic management software, when the mains power is normal, the battery is charged and discharged once every 3 to 4 months. When the battery is discharged to 20%, it will automatically switch between equal charge and floating charge, fully activate the lead-acid molecules, and greatly extend the battery life. Our factory does a test battery discharge 20%, leaving 80% can be discharged 1500-2500 times, the battery 100% discharge 10.5V termination voltage can only cycle 300 times before the end of life;
② Constantly detect each battery pack during discharge, monitor the voltage, current, and temperature of each battery, and adjust the battery voltage to compensate according to the battery temperature;
③Battery discharge record log to prevent battery failure diagnosis;
④ The charging current is charged at 0.1C, and the current can be set from 1 to 100A.
8. Do a good job of real-time monitoring: At present, all intelligent UPS power supplies have operational performance characteristics such as communication with microcomputers and program control. Install the corresponding software on the microcomputer, connect the UPS power supply through the serial/parallel port, run the program, and use the microcomputer to communicate with the UPS power supply. Generally, it has functions such as information query, parameter setting, timing setting, automatic shutdown and alarm.
9. Reasonable selection of UPS power supply installation location: A good installation location is very important. The place where the UPS is placed must have good ventilation, keep away from water, flammable gases and corrosive agents, and keep the ambient temperature between 0 and 40°C. When it is disassembled and used at low temperature, water droplets may condense. Once the ambient temperature exceeds 25 degrees, the life of the battery will be cut in half for every 10 degrees increase. At present, the batteries used in UPS power supply are generally maintenance-free sealed lead-acid batteries, and the design life is generally 5 years.
10. The UPS power supply should not be placed on the side, and the air inlet and outlet holes should be kept unobstructed; when the load is connected to the UPS power supply, the load must be turned off first, then connected, and then opened one by one. It is strictly forbidden to connect electric motors, copiers and other inductive loads to the UPS power supply to avoid injury. When connecting the UPS power supply to a special socket with an overcurrent protection device, the power socket used should be connected to the protective ground; no matter whether the input power cord is plugged into the mains socket, the UPS power output may be charged. To make the UPS no output, first turn off the switch, and then cancel the mains supply.
11. Precautions for correct installation of UPS power supply: You should also pay attention to safety when connecting the output power supply to the UPS. Since the output voltage and current of the UPS are relatively large, you should also pay attention to safety when connecting the output power supply to prevent electric shock accidents. When replacing the battery, first turn off the UPS power supply and disconnect it from the mains, use a screwdriver with an insulated handle, and do not put tools or other metal objects on the battery. When connecting the battery wires, it is normal for small sparks to appear at the joints, which will not cause harm to personal safety or UPS power supply. Never short-circuit or reverse the positive and negative poles of the battery. When replacing the battery, it is not advisable to replace it individually, it is best to replace it as a whole. In addition, it is forbidden to combine batteries with different amperage and different brands.